Company: University of Colorado, LASP
Address: 1234 Innovation Drive
Boulder, CO 80303
TO APPLY: EXPORT COMPLIANCE ADMINISTRATOR
Job Title: Export Compliance Administrator
Position Overview: The Laboratory for Atmospheric and Space Physics (LASP) is a full-cycle space institute, combining all aspects of space exploration through our expertise in science, engineering, mission operation, data analysis, and education. LASP works heavily with NASA and other governmental agencies, commercial partners, as well as other research laboratories and institutions of higher learning. This position provides guidance and advice to the LASP Empowered Official and LASP management, as well as other LASP personnel on the application of U.S. Government export/import regulations including, the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), the Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the Department of the Treasury’s Office of Foreign Assets Control. This position requires extensive knowledge and application of ITAR, EAR and other regulations for the preparation, negotiation, submittal, implementation and management of export classifications and associated authorizations, Technical Assistance Agreements, Technology Control Plans, and Export Compliance processes, procedures, and best practices. This position has oversight and reporting responsibilities.
- Responsible for providing direct support to the LASP Empowered Official and LASP Contracts and Compliance Manager, to which this position directly reports, as well as coordinating with the University’s Office of Research Integrity on an as needed basis.
- Responsible for assessing and appropriately classifying LASP Programs and Projects to include hardware, software and associated technology/technical data, primarily in the space sector.
- Responsible for identifying requirements for Government export authorizations for all projects and programs that LASP is involved with.
- Responsible for drafting, applying for, coordinating, disseminating, maintaining, and monitoring U.S. Government export/import licenses, agreements, permits, certifications, technology release authorizations.
- Assists in the development and implementation of LASP procedures and instructions to support compliance with U.S. Government export/import regulations, and University and LASP policies.
- Supports general compliance procedures, including but not limited to: restricted party screenings, end-user certifications, and vendor certifications.
- Supports LASP Administration, including Procurement, Shipping and Receiving, Information Technology, Facilities, Contracts and Human Resources as it relates to export compliance issues.
- Supports and reviews requests for the export and/or import of controlled goods and information, and coordinating approval of requests with management.
- Prepares reports, presentations and metrics associated with export/import transactions and activities.
- Maintains export/import files and records in accordance with U.S. Government export/import regulations and University/LASP policy.
- Assists in the development and management of export/import training materials and provides training across the lab.
- Supports export/import compliance activities such as self-assessments, internal and external audits.
- Supports investigations and export /import related compliance matters.
- Participates in cross-functional technical projects and LASP projects to support scientific, research, engineering, and operational objectives, obligations, and initiatives.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent
- 4+ years export/import related experience and application of regulations (ITAR, EAR, OFAC)
- Experience classifying technologies
- Understanding of recent U.S. Export Control reforms and initiatives, including a solid understanding of exceptions and exclusions
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and integrate export licensing requirements with LASP’s international research objectives
- Demonstrated ability to participate in multi-functional teams working to solve complex export/import problems and drive issues to conclusions
- Attention to detail and follow through on assignments to achieve desired results
- Strong time management, prioritization, and organizational skills
- Excellent oral and written communication skills
- Experience with the space industry
- Experience in higher level Academic Research Institutes and strong understanding of the Fundamental Research Exclusions
- Ability to travel as necessary