Name: elana miller
Company: Hughes Network Systems/Echostar Corporation
Address: 11717 Exploration Lane
Germantown, MD 20876
Job Title: Corporate Counsel
General Job Description: Echostar Corporation is seeking to hire a Corporate Counsel to be located at Hughes Network Systems in Germantown, Maryland.
This attorney will have lead day-to-day responsibility for the Company’s trade compliance program.
This person will handle compliance and licensing matters under applicable U.S. and foreign laws and regulations, including the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR), Export Administration Regulations (EAR), and the Office of Foreign Assets Control (OFAC) sanctions regulations, anti-boycott regulations, Foreign Trade Regulations, and Customs regulations.
He/she will also provide legal advice and guidance in support of the Company’s Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA)/anti-bribery compliance program.
This position reports to the VP & Assoc. General Counsel responsible for International and Trade Compliance.
- Administering, advising on, and developing the Company’s trade compliance program, policies, and procedures;
- Providing day-to-day legal advice and assistance on trade compliance matters and working with personnel across the Company to ensure ongoing compliance;
- Performing regulatory analysis to determine export licensing jurisdiction, export classifications, and tariff classifications of products, software, and technology and advising on export licensing, commodity classification, and commodity jurisdiction requirements;
- Supporting export licensing and authorization activities;
- Reviewing trade compliance matters in connection with potential international business transactions;
- Collaborating with stakeholders in various functional areas and business units and developing compliance strategies, procedures, and controls;
- Liaising with U.S. Government officials on licensing, authorization, and regulatory matters;
- Assisting with due diligence and background checks on potential international business partners and other third party intermediaries; and
- Other duties as assigned.
- Graduate of an accredited law school and admission to practice in at least one jurisdiction.
- 7+ years of experience working on trade compliance matters affecting multinational companies and international business transactions.
- Broad knowledge of trade compliance laws and regulations applicable to the Company’s business, including ITAR, EAR, and OFAC sanctions regulations.
- Significant experience in practical application of export control and economic sanctions laws and regulations to a wide variety of global business situations.
- ITAR Access
- Travel Percentage 10% or less.
- Telecommunications or satellite industry experience.
- Familiarity with D-Trade, SNAP-R, and SAP GTS.
- Anti-corruption and FCPA compliance experience.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills and interpersonal skills and ability to be engaged and interact with a variety of business people at different levels of the company.
- Attention to detail, strong organization skills, and ability to work efficiently while managing multiple priorities and meeting deadlines.
- Display a high degree of integrity, personal judgment, and confidentiality