SIA's mission is to educate the international trade community by providing a forum for the exchange of information on the export and import process.
SIA's unique relationship maintained with the State Department's Directorate of Defense Trade Controls, Department of Commerce’s Bureau of Industry and Security, the Department of Defense’s Defense Technology Security Administration, and other US Government agencies is key to the Society's success.
SIA currently holds four conferences per year (Fall, Winter, Spring and Summer). The Fall and Spring conferences are advanced sessions, and the Winter and Summer conferences are ‘basics” (beginners) events.
Back to Basics Conferences
The Winter/Summer Back to Basics conferences are an important first step to exporting articles on the United States Munitions List (USML) and the Commerce Control List (CCL) and the associated defense services and technology.
- This conference is ideal for newcomers (less than 5 years of experience) to export licensing, as they will be provided with a step-by-step guide to using the International Traffic in Arms Regulations (ITAR) and the Export Administration Regulations (EAR).
- Emphasis is placed on the license application process and the requirements for submitting licenses to the Department of State, Directorate of Defense Trade Controls (DDTC) as well as to the Department of Commerce, Bureau of Industry and Security (BIS) for review and approval.
- Attendees are introduced to the various types of licenses, agreements, exemptions and exceptions and the requirements and conditions associated with each.
- U.S. Government (USG) speakers are engaged to provide insight into the procedures and policies governing the export licensing process.
- Ample time for questions is built into each day.
- A special Roundtable Q&A Session with panelists and invited guests is held at the conclusion of Day 2.
- The Conference integrates hands-on workshops with practical transaction scenarios and corresponding licensing/agreements/exemption/exception exercises.
- These exercises provide attendees the opportunity to apply what they have learned while USG experts and defense industry peers are close at hand to answer questions and provide guidance.
- Speakers include participants from USG agencies such as DDTC, Defense Technology Security Administration (DTSA), BIS, and members of the defense industry.
The Fall/Spring Conferences are an advanced level forum, focusing on policy and advanced licensing issues, regulatory updates, legislative activity, foreign policy issues, and other relevant advanced topics.